Beethoven Lives Upstairs
An Interactive CD-ROM
For ages 8 and up
Back to Products
Beethoven Lives Upstairs is an educational software program that teaches and encourages students to learn about music.
Based on the award-winning video, this exciting CD-Rom lets you travel back to 18th century Vienna, where Ludwig van Beethoven becomes your guide through a variety of interactive games and challenges. Learn about tone, rhythm and composition, and how to read a score -- even play Beethoven's piano. The main screen allows children to choose from the following activities:
The Bell Tower
- 10 preset melodies by Beethoven and others.
- A recorder that allows kids to produce their own melodies. Note: When kids exit this activity, the last melody they selected will play on the hour, wherever they are in the program.
Your Personal Journals
- 5 journals that kids can personalize with their own "paintings" (that they color at various points throughout the game) and personal notes and stories.
- Christoph's journal entries, video sequences from the movie "Beethoven Lives Upstairs," and other activities explained in the section below.
There are plenty of musical activities to be found in Christoph's Journal:
- An arcade style game that involves filling musical measures with the correct combinations of notes. Players move a bucket around Christoph's room, catching notes dripping from the ceiling before they turn into water and flood the room. Notes fall from the ceiling as whole notes, and when they hit the ground they split into two half notes, then quarter notes, then eighth notes.
Name that Musical Square Game Show
- Players become contestants, and learn about musical styles (staccato, legato, adagio, etc.).
- Beethoven is in one of his bad moods, and is flinging instruments out of his window. Kids learn about different groups of musical instruments (brass, woodwinds, etc.) as they must group the falling instruments in a game of logic.
Paint Pictures in the Art Studio
- A fun and creative activity in which kids mix and blend colors to paint different scenes. Paint can be diluted by clicking on the glass of water icon, or increased in intensity. And, kids get to listen to Beethoven's music as they create their masterpiece!
Play Beethoven's Piano
- Kids are tutored through learning the notes of some of Beethoven's melodies. They can choose to learn these songs in beginner or advanced mode, and an animated candle helps them to click on the correct piano keys.
The Great Pen Chase
- Kids guide Christoph through the streets of Vienna in search of Beethoven's pens. An interesting twist has kids passing over musical rests that slow down Christoph.
- Kids choose the piece of music and the instruments the musicians will play.
Children learn about the life and music of Beethoven, and some music basics in addition to music appreciation, all while having fun.
Operating System: Windows 3.1/95/98/ME/NT/2000
CPU: Pentium 90 or greater
x4 CD-ROM Drive
SoundBlaster compatible soundcard
Back to Products